Friday, May 27, 2022

New Near-Future Novel!

Yes, I write picture books, and love collaborating with illustrators.  And yes, I write  historical romance -- in fact, I've finally gotten back to work on my latest Cowbird Creek book, What Wakes the Heart. But it took me a while to do that, because I was getting another near-future SF novel ready to publish. And here it is!



Kelly Martin of KAM Design, who does my Cowbird Creek covers, turns out to do a mean SF cover.

Here's the description.

--------

Whose children are they?
Who decides?

In the near future, abortion is a thing of the past -- but the development of artificial wombs provides an alternative. The federal government controls this technology, and the fetuses consigned to these special incubators.

Young and unprepared for motherhood, Toni Green panics and agrees to "donate" her unborn child for adoption, the fortunate parents to be selected by the Bureau of Reproductive Safety. But the decision doesn't sit well with her, and as her regrets grow, she consults her mother, a high-powered lawyer, about her options. And thus begins a journey for her, her mother, the chosen adoptive parents -- and Poloma Clark, an administrator at the Bureau whose policies and practices Toni is challenging.

Poloma, initially tasked with helping the Bureau prepare for trial, finds herself confronted with evidence that the Bureau is exceeding its mandate. If the purpose of this mission creep is to protect vulnerable children, how can she help but join in? But the more she learns, the more her assumptions face challenges that force her to make possibly life-altering decisions.

This novel, like Wyle's previous near-future stories, includes a substantial number of courtroom scenes -- and a memorable judge.

-------

The Kindle edition and paperback edition are available now on Amazon, with the paperback coming out elsewhere on June 1st.

I'll post an excerpt soon -- maybe on the "official" June 1st release day, maybe sooner if I get impatient.

I'm likely to put the Kindle edition in Kindle Unlimited, at which point I won't be able to distribute actual ebook copies for review (as opposed to, say, PDFs of the paperback edition). So if you think you might want to review it, hit me up now for a free e-copy! (Best would be to email me at kawyle@att.net.)

No comments: