Thursday, July 13, 2023

A list I made of recommended science fiction -- in a particular category

 

It's always pleasant to have some person/website/entity contact me because I'm an author. The latest was a website called Shepherd (with a nice little illustration of a shepherd as its logo). Its mission is to help readers discover good books via recommendations from a wide range of authors. Could I, would I come up with a list of five books to recommend, in any category I dreamt up?

Responding to this request led me to muse on what draws me to a story as a reader. Apparently, among other things, I often end up reading stories (SFF or other genres) whose protagonists are struggling with past traumas. The result: a list of five SFF (science fiction and fantasy) novels with emotionally scarred characters. 

I mentioned in the writeup of the list that my first novel (aside from juvenilia), Twin-Bred, featured such a character. The format provided to me didn't leave room for me to add that several of my other novels, including most books in the Cowbird Creek series, do as well. Is it time for me to build a novel around a completely unscarred innocent? . . . 

No comments: