Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Back matter for nonfiction picture books: an example

 A Boy Who Made Music is my first nonfiction picture book. Nonfiction picture books typically have back matter, providing more information for those sufficiently interested in the subject. This book provided my first opportunity to give informative back matter a try. (Well, almost my first. I added a note at the end of Where Fireflies Sleep to clarify a point I'd arguably fudged.)

I didn't want to switch from fully illustrated two-page spreads to stark text-only pages, so my obliging illustrator Tomasz Mikutel provided a host of "spot illustrations" for me to sprinkle through the back matter as I saw fit. The page I'm including below (the first of three) shows how I made use of those illustrations.

Did I make the right decisions about what to italicize? I don't know and at this point, I have no intention of worrying about it. (Unfortunately, worrying doesn't always require an intention. But I'll try to avoid it.)

Meanwhile, I continue to wait for that spelling correction to go through. Care to cross your fingers along with me?

No comments: