Tuesday, September 03, 2024

Updates and Notifications: A Cautionary Tale

Should you stop by my author website today, you can see in the lower righthand corner the bracketed phrase, "NEWSLETTER SIGNUP LINK COMING SOON." How so, when I've had that website for years -- and, until this morning, there was an actual signup link in that spot, using a form generated by Mailerlite? Well . . . learn from my mistakes, folks.

I signed up for a free level of Mailerlite quite some time ago, with the vague intention of using it for my monthly newsletter. I made one attempt at that leap and then put the effort aside. And so the matter stood until I decided I'd finally make a "reader magnet" -- some sort of freebie, such as a book or story -- available as a reward for newsletter signups. I used BookFunnel to set that up and then went to Mailerlite to update the signup form. I looked around the Dashboard and was puzzled to see no reference to that form. I went to my website, clicked on the link, and tried signing up, using an alternate email address where I generally receive nothing but political spam and legal newsletters I no longer read. Submitting the signup request led to a blank page rather than the former "welcome" message, and no "congratulations, you've signed up" email appeared.

Somewhere in the process of trying to solve this conundrum, I signed up for Mailerlite's lowest paid tier, which made it easier to seek assistance. And that assistance led to the realization that since February 1, 2024, I'd had no functioning signup form. It had disappeared when Mailerlite discontinued its "Classic" service. I had almost certainly received some notice of the change, and now that I'm reminded, I'm pretty sure I saw some such notification and . . . ignored it.

Advice: don't do that.

I'm now in the process of creating a new signup form, but I've hit some snags and am awaiting more Support help. In the meantime: if you'd like to receive my monthly newsletter, with updates on drafts in progress and upcoming releases, peeks at my writing process, book recommendations, and writing prompts, please comment below or email me at kawyle@att.net! And if you tried in or after February, 2024 to sign up . . . my abject, cringing apologies.

----------

Update: I've made a new form and fixed the link! And as a way of trying to make up for the snafu, I'll be sending the subscribers I already have the same new book the new subscribers will be getting.

No comments: